Jan 22, 2019
School: Health Careers, Technology and Applied Learning
Academic Dept: Allied Health Careers
Curriculum Chair: Sue Clarke-Kendrick
Important Note about Program Requirements
The requirements listed below are for students entering into this program in Fall 2018. Students who entered the program during a prior semester will find their specific requirements listed in the Catalog under which they entered. Archived Catalogs are accessible through the dropdown menu above.
Certificate programs are designed to provide a mix of theory and practical training leading to immediate employment upon completion. People who pursue certificates might have an advanced degree and typically want to learn new skills and acquire knowledge. Others might enroll in a certificate program to “test the waters,” with an eye toward pursuing an associate’s degree. Credits earned now in a credit-bearing certificate will apply later toward an associate’s degree at Westchester Community College. Click to learn more about the differences among the award types.
This certificate program in Medical Billing leads to credentialing as a Certified Professional Biller (CPB) through the American Academy of Professional Coders (AAPC). The program provides exposure to terminology, rules and regulations that apply to the healthcare industry. Students gain a comprehensive understanding of various insurance plans, the use of International Statistical Classification of Diseases, 10th revision (ICD-10-CM) coding guidelines and Current Procedural Terminology (CPT-4). Emphasis is placed on billing processes and procedures for filing, tracking claims and resolution of claim denials. Graduates are eligible to take the Certified Professional Biller Examination (CPB). The program can be taken alone to achieve the certificate or as a stackable credential with Medical Coding Certificate.
Note: Students must demonstrate eligibility to enroll in ENG 101 - Writing and Research.
Program Learning Outcomes
Upon completion of this program, students will be able to:
- Demonstrate knowledge of policies and procedures pertaining to healthcare reimbursement including: third party payers, payment and reimbursement methodologies and Charge Description Master (CDM).
- Apply healthcare terminology to the processing of medical billing documents.
- Apply billing concepts and principles to the practice of health information management including Local Coverage Determinations (LCD), and National Coverage Determinations (NCD), in compliance with reimbursement regulations.
- Describe the concepts and structures of various types of prospective payment systems and apply the rules of each prospective system to the appropriate healthcare setting.
- Apply the concept of medical necessity to insurance claims.
- Understand CPT, ICD-10-CM, and HCPCS Level 2 coding guidelines.
General Education Requirements - 3 Credits
Basic Communication (3 credits)
Certificate Requirements - 22 Credits
Career Path Opportunities
Are you wondering what careers you can explore with a degree or certificate? Perhaps you are not sure what people do or how much money they make in certain careers that pique your interest? Would you like to know how many jobs are predicted to be available in a particular industry? Or maybe you are unsure whether receiving a degree or certificate would be right for you? Go to https://sunywcc.emsicareercoach.com to explore career paths, their associated job descriptions, salary trends, and jobs trends. Complete a career assessment for additional guidance. Still not sure? Visit www.sunywcc.edu/career for more career resources and contacts.
Are you a prospective Westchester Community College graduate? We look forward to seeing you soon! Apply today, then see the College’s Admissions and Enrollment Checklist.