Oct 21, 2019
School: Business and Professional Careers
Academic Dept: Computer Information Technologies
Curriculum Chair: Prof. John Watkins
Important Note about Program Requirements
The requirements listed below are for students entering into this program in Fall 2018. Students who entered the program during a prior semester will find their specific requirements listed in the Catalog under which they entered. Archived Catalogs are accessible through the dropdown menu above.
Certificate programs are designed to provide a mix of theory and practical training leading to immediate employment upon completion. People who pursue certificates might have an advanced degree and typically want to learn new skills and acquire knowledge. Others might enroll in a certificate program to “test the waters,” with an eye toward pursuing an associate’s degree. Credits earned now in a credit-bearing certificate will apply later toward an associate’s degree at Westchester Community College. Click to learn more about the differences among the award types.
The Cybersecurity certificate provides students with a firm foundation in the basic principles of business security. It is recommended for individuals with prior computer experience, and designed for students who need to enhance their job skills. The courses can also be applied to the A.A.S. degree in Cybersecurity. Graduates of this certificate can expect opportunities to use their skills in private industry, government, law enforcement, the military, health services and academia.
Program Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of this program, a student will:
- Demonstrate the ability to manage, protect and secure computer systems functions, including forensic extraction from hardware and software applications.
- Demonstrate understanding of the operation of workstations and servers and how to manage, identify and recognize problems and attacks.
- Demonstrate understanding of how the computer network functions and how to use network packets and software behavioral analysis to manage, identify and recognize patterns related to attacks.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the multiple ways in which the security of computer systems is breached and how to make computer systems more secure.
- Demonstrate the ability to write security and forensic reports that could be used in a court of law.
Minimum Total Credits - 27
Educational Plan: The Educational Plan is an advisement tool that provides important information to students about how to complete this degree. Click to download the Cybersecurity Certificate Educational Plan (PDF) .
Career Path Opportunities
Are you wondering what careers you can explore with a degree or certificate? Perhaps you are not sure what people do or how much money they make in certain careers that pique your interest? Would you like to know how many jobs are predicted to be available in a particular industry? Or maybe you are unsure whether receiving a degree or certificate would be right for you? Go to https://sunywcc.emsicareercoach.com to explore career paths, their associated job descriptions, salary trends, and jobs trends. Complete a career assessment for additional guidance. Still not sure? Visit www.sunywcc.edu/career for more career resources and contacts.
Are you a prospective Westchester Community College graduate? We look forward to seeing you soon! Apply today, then see the College’s Admissions and Enrollment Checklist.