Feb 08, 2023
Division: Business, Behavioral/Social Science, Public & Human Services
Academic Dept: Accounting
Curriculum Chair: Carolyn Christesen
A Note about Program Requirements
The requirements listed below are for students entering into this program in Spring 2016. Students who entered the program during a prior semester will find their specific requirements listed in the Catalog under which they entered. Archived Catalogs are accessible through the dropdown menu above.
The Associate in Science curriculum provides a broad technical and academic background that serves to prepare students for entry into career positions or continued study at the four-year college or university level. Westchester Community College has established transfer agreements with a number of colleges and universities. Students who plan their programs carefully will receive full transfer credit at these institutions and will advance to the bachelor’s degree with two years of additional study.
Program Learning Outcomes
- To provide students with the knowledge base to understand the key principles in accounting.
- Summarize and communicate data that represents the financial results of businesses
- Analyze financial data to evaluate the financial health of a company
- To prepare students to use the Internet to research company financial information and new and emerging accounting rules.
- Use reliable internet resources to research financial information about a company
- Find accounting rules related to a particular reporting question in the FASB Accounting Standards Codification
- To prepare students for success in higher-level college courses in business and accounting.
- Use Excel to present financial information in a professional manner
- Communicate financial information orally and in writing
General Education Requirements - 33 Credits
Students are required to fulfill a certain number of credits within the specific categories shown below. Where specific courses are not listed within these categories, courses must be selected from the list of SUNY General Education Courses .
Basic Communication (6 credits)
Natural Sciences (4 credits)
Social Sciences (6 credits)
Degree Requirements - 30 Credits
Degree Requirement Note(s)
Students are required to take two of the following four courses at Westchester Community College: ACC 119 , ACC 120 , ACC 203 , and FIN 203 . Additionally, the following course must be among those taken here, and must have been completed within five years of applying for graduation: ACC 203 .
Minimum Total Credits - 63
Educational Plan: The Educational Plan is an advisement tool that provides important information to students about how to complete this degree. Click here to Download the Educational Plan .